Thursday, December 08, 2005

Fire in the Belly...

I may have found two things I can't live without...

Well, even as I type that I realize the hyperbolic tone I've set. Perhaps for effect, perhaps for fun, perhaps because I have experienced these two things in the span of about 12 hours and am still feelin' it.

While one could argue the purely biologic necessities of O2,H2O, and maybe a little food here and there - I'll argue that I think I may perhaps prefer to starve to death or die of thirst before I have to die of starvation from people, from love, from community.

Which actually is closer to the reality that we all of us (to borrow a little riff from one of my literary heros Frederick Buechner) must suffer from time to time. At our most elemental level, our deepest core, I think what we most fear is pure isolation. Why then would some seem to choose it? Why do some seek out isolation? Why do I sometimes seek it out? Why do we all sometimes seem to want it? Well, something about choosing to be alone seems to relieve the pain of our unmet desire to NOT be alone. If we can kill the desire, the dissapointment won't hurt so much.

All that to say I think I may want to live out the rest of my days eating breakfast bagel sandwiches and drinking a fine Bourbon from time to time. Both I believe are made to be enjoyed once an occasion - but both leave you wanting another the instant the first has been finished.

The Bagel sandwich comes from my favorite little coffee shop downtown right near my office. An everything bagel, eggs, cheese, and some bacon all cooked up right in front of me.

The Bourbon is a relatively new thing for me really. While certainly I've had it before, I've recently had a friend introduce me to the enjoyment of it as a fine spirit. I've tried several different kinds recently and find I have a taste for some of the higher-end small batch varieties. Basil Hayden, Booker Noe, Maker's Mark, Knob Creek. But truth be told, much of the enjoyment as of late has come with the sharing of these with friends.

Fire in the belly - love in my soul

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

won't do my soul any harm either.

Mercurial Dreams said...

Not sure at all what you mean by that. What won't do your soul any harm? Did I say something would harm your soul?

Anonymous said...

This is really a Christmas wish list, isn't it?

Mercurial Dreams said...

No not at all. Well unless I know who you are? I mean who am I to smack a gift horse in the mouth. Tell you what, I'll accept a gift from you if you allow me to pour you a glass and share a drink together...Unless of course you were talking about a breakfast sandwich, in which case, I'll take it!!!