Friday, January 20, 2006

Pacing the cage...

On a somewhat related note from my last forray into the world of desire, I came across an interview with Scott Cairns who, in Annie Dillard's mind (I can't argue with her), is "one of the best poets alive". Well, he also teaches creative writing at University of Missouri-Columbia and this is what he said to the question of his goals for his students.

"I want them to see themselves, and what they create, as part of an ongoing, vital tradition. I want them to turn away from the modernist, personal mode and its taste for ennui. I want them to find in poetry a means of consoling their losses, a way of witnessing grace, and an access to living, even now, in what we still might call the Kingdom of God. I want us all to be free of petty passions, and freed into serving enormous passions. I know that's pretty big talk, but I think poetry has the power to effect just such pleasures. I think the writer of John's gospel was onto something when he chose Logos as a metaphor for the Christ. I like also the Hebrew notion of word, davhar, a word which is also a thing, a power, an agent instigating other, subsequent words."

This has more to do with my secret fantasy to be a writer...Well, my chances are probably better sailing single-handed around the world in a dinghy, but one must have dreams yes?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Until one is committed, there is a hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness, concerning all acts of initiative (and creation). The moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision. Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius. Power and magic in it.

Anonymous said...

write. write! and we will read (and better yet buy). it's bliss to read your writing.