Friday, October 20, 2006


I have not allowed myself time to sit much lately. I guess if I keep moving at least I feel like I'm making a dent in the mountain of things that have to happen. It's like when I'm working on the boat. Sometimes I can't figure out what to do next so I just clean up and vacuum like a madman. At least I feel like I'm doing something worthwhile.

Today I installed the thru-hull fitting for the galley, bedded in a new window, installed the center cockpit drains and prepped the transom for its 4th and hopefully final coat of paint. All in all, a very good day's work.

So the sun is setting and I'm sitting in my big leather chair feeling more at peace than I have in a while. I'm a little ashamed really. I knew long ago that taking time to sit and "mine" ore of the thoughts in my head and the events of the day was vital to my life. I have no idea why I haven't done this lately.

If this boat project is going to continue, I must find a way to stay alive and present to my life and taking time to sit in this chair is perhaps the most generous thing I can do for myelf.

November 4th is launch day. We will then tow Epilogue down to Seattle where she will stay at Fisherman's Terminal - less than two miles from my house. It'll be nice to have her buttoned up for the winter, take some time off and start chipping away at the interior. Plumbing, electrical, mechanical and finish.

No comments: