Monday, October 01, 2007

Shipwreck...

No other element has such accreted layers of significance for us, such complex archetypal meaning. The sea’s moods and uses sex it. It is the great creatrix, feeder, womb and vagina, place of pleasure; the gentlest thing on earth, the most maternal; the most seductive whore, and handsomely the most faithless. It has the attributes of all women, and men too. It can be subtle and noble, brave and energetic; and far crueller than the meanest, most sadistic human king who ever ruled. “I believe in the Bible”, an old sailor once told Lord Fisher, “because it don’t mention no sea in Paradise”. I happen to live over the sea myself, I watch it every day, I hear it every night. I do not like it angry, but I’ve noticed that most urban and inland people adore it so. Storms and gales seem to awaken something joyous and excited in them: the thunder on the shingle, the spray and spume, the rut and rage.
--John Fowles "Shipwreck" 1975

This passage came from The Oxford Book of The Sea, edited by Jonathan Raban. I was scouring it for inspiration and found myself quickly searching the web for other work by John Fowles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

when did you add the ptarmigan traverse link? uf...I had almost forgotten how beautiful those pictures are.
my aunt lost her battle with cancer last week. was wearing her Hope necklace. I miss her a bunch. I guess that's the part about death that feels selfish. We miss the contribution others make to our lives...Hope you are well.