Saturday, November 12, 2005

All the roots grow deeper when it's dry


I took this picture today, with my new camera, while I worked alone. Sometimes when I'm up there alone, I feel such relief, such contentment. Mostly I think it's because for so many months I've been so overwhelmed by this whole thing. But now, when I can climb the ladder and actually get to work and see change, I feel like I'm settled into the rythym of the project. This is what I committed to, this is what I thought it would be like. Just not so damn cold.

I've been thinking alot about what it means to commit to something so much bigger than I am. It takes such sacrifice, such willingness to suffer for what I love. I'm finally getting used to it. The risk is there, and I've already paid so dearly, given so much. But I think for some reason we're made to live like this...to love like this. This boat is more than a boat for me to go sailing on. This boat is a metaphor for my life. I'm only now begining to see the picture. It will take months and years to see the rest of it but for now I see one thing clearly. To love without risk is foolish and impossible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Brother.

by the way...can you comment sometime on the little Barbie hanging on the boat?

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures, but the writing is way too deep for me. Just put that dang thing in the water and let's go!