Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Bird By Bird...


Lately I've been coming to grips with the reality of this project. But I'm feeling surprisingly more at rest with it. When I first went to San Diego in February to prep the boat for transport by truck, I was so overwhelmed and anxious I literally didn't sleep for two straight nights. During the day I worked like a crazed madman. It's surprising I didn't fall off the boat then. I was by myself, sick with anxiety, and so full of adrenaline I worked for hours without sleep, food, or even water. Climbed all over the boat like a monkey and yanked more hardware off the boat than I ever imagined possible.

Well now, as I'm actually able to see and affect progress, I'm gaining a much more "Bird by Bird"-like approach. You just have to break daunting things like this down into manageable bites. Given our pace, we're really making great progress. The decks, as you can see, are completely filled, faired, and sealed with a high-build epoxy. The house, cockpits, and trunk cabin are nearly prepped for painting and hatch replacement.

We've been removing some of the poorly designed and useless systems and glassing over them so you'll never know they were there. This boat is going to be very clean and simple with an aesthetic that will match her sexy lines and ingenious rig. Our priority is to finish off the decks, house, hatches and portlights, drop the engine in, and paint the hull and bottom. Then pop her in the water to finish the interior and rigging.

By my math, we'll be done in a couple weeks.

1 comment:

Brett said...

Hey Greg,

Glad to find you here. Looks like I'll be spending some time, if that's okay with you.
Brett