Sunday, February 19, 2006

My Life Has Been Saved by Love...


I fell into the hands of people who love me and that is why I'm here today - February 19th - it has been one year. Sometimes the weight of gratitude is more than I can bear. I don't feel beholden as much as undeserving of such beauty. And not because I feel like a jerk, but because I don't know how to say "thank you". I don't know how those two words, or any words can express my gratitude. Yes, my journey through this has been truly miraculous - a divine gift. So much of that miracle though happened before my eyes, through my eyes as I encountered the people whose hands were there to catch me. How do you thank people, so many people, for the gift of love? I suppose love doesn't require a return but to experience love moves the heart towards a gratitude that seeks expression. And that's where I get stuck because expressions of gratitude, no matter how extravagant, just can't measure up to what has been received. And they shouldn't. What it comes down to is love begets love and that, ladies and gentlemen, is worth the price of admission.

This picture was drawn three days after the fall by a woman in a counseling group I co-led with a friend for a year. I recently had the privilege of visiting the group and was presented with this drawing. They had been waiting nearly a year to give it to me. I don't think there is a better picture of what the last year has been like for me...love begets love

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was good to see you last night - thank you (this is Diane).

I'm not sure that anyone can ever express gratitude that is so deeply inside of us. Those are the places that words don't touch very well (Thank God for that) But I do know that the people around you are grateful to have been so close to something so miraculous, and that your accident was a domino that set several movements of healing and beauty into action. We're all catalysts for one another, absorbing the pain of the world as it heals, one heart at a time. And in this case, one head. :)