Friday, February 17, 2006

OVERSIZED LOAD...


Exactly a year ago today I got a call at 11:00am saying, "Mr.Lewis, your boat has arrived." They had been held up at the Washington border the day before (this photo)and were waiting for clearance from the Washinton State Police to travel through the state. There were three pilot cars that had to travel with the "Super-OVERSIZED LOAD", one in front, one behind and one many miles ahead to scout the route. Well, somehow they were able to sneak over the border under the cloak of darkness and arrive in Everett a couple days ahead of schedule. I didn't ask any questions about how they managed to get there without clearance ahead.

I was finishing up a varnish job on the Safari Spirit when I got the call and just left everything to go see the boat arrive. My tools, jacket and such remained untouched in the forward crew quarters for days in rememberance of my presence on that project. It was months before I got my jacket back and it smelled like the boat thankfully.

It's almost like last year is staring all over again. I have this big daunting boat project ahead of me, it's winter time, it's beautifully and unseasonably sunny, this time though, I'm not planning to taking a dive off the mother. I'll be wearing my helmet tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Hone and spread your spirit till you yourself are a sail, whetted, translucent, broadside to the merest puff." I ran across this beautiful image yesterday while reading Annie Dillard.

...What an amazing year...

Mercurial Dreams said...

Oh dear God, that is beautiful. What chapter did you find it in?

Anonymous said...

it is towards the very end of "Seeing"