Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Haunted by Goethe...



I'm coming up on a year since the accident and this quote by Goethe, left by some anonymous visitor, has become one of the halmarks of this year for me. Certainly as well, it could be a halmark of my life. There are many areas of my life where I have moved with boldness(left)even in the face of fear. There are many areas where I have witnessed "the whole stream of events" that has issued from a decision to move in a direction and have been richly blessed. And there are many others where my inactivity has cuased much damage...

The decision to move towards the dream of this boat, however, was monumental. To move, with great fear, towards that which is so much bigger than me, for so much more than me, for a dream beyond my comfort, was a turning point. A crossroads. But to then witness "the whole stream of events" that issued from this decision threatened to smack of a cosmic, ironic mockery that could drive a man to despair...or drink, whichever.

I now find myself in the Epilogue of this story and as I continue to witness "the whole stream of events" that issues from this decision, I dare say this could be one of the best years of my life. Yes, ironic, but with the taste of a glorious redemption that will forever mark me. Much more than the little dent on the right side of my head.

Here is the quote already:

Until one is committed, there is a hesitancy, a chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness concerning all acts of initiative (and creation). The moment one definitely commits oneself, providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision. Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey my friend...I should send you my fridge magnet.

Mercurial Dreams said...

Keep it on your fridge, 'cause I'm gonna tatoo the whole thing on my arm!

Anonymous said...

oooh man - that's bold. I like it! It's gonna hurt though- it is a long quote. I'll look forward to seeing it...

rlw said...

we seriously have that quote on our fridge as does kelley. that's good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the best map will not guide you
You can't see what's around the bend
Sometimes the road leads through dark places
Sometimes the darkness is your friend
Today these eyes scan bleached-out land
For the coming of the outbound stage
Pacing the cage
Pacing the cage

Anonymous said...

Here's the best of both worlds. No pain of tattoo, yet gets your message across. You ready?



Stick the refrigerator magnet to your head!

I am sorry Lord, that was wrong. Please forgive me and feed the pygmies in Africa ...

Mercurial Dreams said...

So, you must know me, but I don't know you...Larry? who the #%@^@!&@#?

You have to know I've got a bunch of metal in my head. But, I don't think Titanium is magnetic, is it?